CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wesley's Poor Hand




Wesley woke up at 5:30 am Wednesday morning and said that he had an "owie" on his right hand and wanted a band-aid. Well....being 5:30 in the morning and having been up with the baby for about an hour a little while before, I didn't pay that close of attention and did what I had to do in order to get my 3 yr old back to sleep so I could sleep. This involved finding the Diego band-aid specifically....not the Dora ones. So I hunted in the closet and turned on the bathroom light just long enough to find the required band-aid, put it on my child and went directly to bed.
Well.......all morning went fine and we were to meet my sister-in-law and her kids at Riverdale Park at 12:30. We got there and the kids played for a few minutes while we got lunch ready for everyone. Wes came and sat down and I got out a wipe to clean up his hands before he ate and that's when I noticed that his hand had been replaced with a large, red, puffy marshmellow. I was concerned to say the least and called his Daddy to see if he had maybe noticed Wes' hand earlier that morning...he had not. We stayed and played at the park until around 3 and then we went home and had some benadryl and a nap.
Bret got home from work around 5:30 (pm) and I showed him Wesley's hand and told him that I thought we should go to the Kidscare as soon as Trinity woke up from her nap. Got everything ready and after only waiting at the Dr.'s for ONLY 2 hours we come to find out 1) Yes, something bit him and 2) it is infected. So after some hum-hawing from the physician she said that he needed a shot of Rocephin (antibiotic) and also an oral antibiotic for several days. However, she also drew nifty little lines on his hands and fingers and said that if the redness spread farther than it was then he would have to be admitted to the hospital for I.V. antibiotics. Also that since it was in the hand and "hands are tricky" if it was too bad that the method for removing the infection from a hand is to lance it and keep it open and just let it drain. Yummy fun!
So we are home for the night hoping that all goes well. Either way we are supossed to go back tomorrow to let them recheck his hand and see what we'll need to do. I must say though, I was extremely proud of Wesley. He was such a big boy the whole time at the Dr.'s. He was content to sit and color while we waited for the physician, he obliged and showed him his "owie hand" without any complaint, and he didn't even flinch or cry or scream when they gave him his shot! (Not even I would be that good, but then you all know what a BIG baby I am.) So anyway.....here's hoping that we will have a miraculous recovery tomorrow morning!
Co-pay for Dr. visit $30
Time wasted wating for physician 2.5 hrs
Watching my 3 yr old walking out of Walmart with his prize of a Thomas the Train coloring book and Disney Princess crayons.................priceless!

2 comments:

Linds said...

Whoa! Crazy! I hope his hand gets better.

Dave & Karissa Hardman said...

Oh my goodness! That is quite a story! I hope his little hand is doing better. What are we going to do with our boys and their hand/wrist problems!!
Love ya!